Friday 12 August 2011

The Christmas thing...

Text: Hero Arts, Background: Stampers Anonymous and Spellbinder dies. I think that's  all...see, I'm trying to remember to give credits....so you don't think I can draw and write eight million different fonts by hand - well you might have!

I'm still visiting WOYWW desks, but as you know this isn't unusual.  There's no science to any of this of course, but I gather from WOYWW comments and posts that it seems we roughly fall into four categories. Those of us who cannot or will not face Christmas until the seasons change and the time is right.  I must say that this group of people includes Jo of Jozarty.  And it's easy to tell why.  They are prolific non-procrastinating crafters.  They do, and talk about it afterwards - no prior blog whingeing about how much has to be done, or how difficult it is to make time or how un-christmassy the mojo feels.  So when Autumn turns its face toward Christmas, such crafters will allocate some time and create their cards.
Then there are the crafters who are organised through fear.  They love Christmas and all that it means and brings to their doorsteps, but are afraid of being bogged down by all the work that it inevitably involves.  And let's face it, you can't enjoy anything if you're constantly under pressure about it.  And so, for fear of not having time and ruining their own holidays by being behind, these crafters make a few Christmas cards here and there throughout the year.  Or to a set pattern of monthly/weekly.  The trick with this plan is  not to beat yourself up if you can't do this week/month's allocation for some reason, and catch up if possible.  Although I think in the case of such organised beings, it may well take a broken hand to prevent the card box being topped up!
And there's the majority, who move with the Seasons and can tell that Christmas Day is the same date every year and know how long they need to make their cards.  And enjoy doing them within the context of the approaching season.   Probably by the end of November they'll be considering their stock and making a few, calmly accepting that not all things are possible so handmade cards go to the appropriate people. 
 I can't tell you how much I dislike the part that I play in making Christmas last 4 months by producing card workshops in August.  But these are not 'thank you cards'  to be sent after an event.  And so people want ideas and er, inspiration 'up front'.  And if you send the cards you make at a workshop then you probably need to come to a handful of workshops to make enough, huh!   The Christmas cards I make now will be recognisably different from any cards I make in December...after all, the 'spirit of the Season' is far easier to lock into when you're actually in the Season!    
And then of course, comes the panic driven crafter.  Amongst my favourites, they are frantically crafting till the small hours, often in bad light, to meet a last posting date or create something particular the night before the get-together or the big day itself.  I have learned that panic is not a good thing for me..it blocks me instantly and causes me to make 15 rubbish cards in an attempt to get one simple idea from brain to card stock.  I like a deadline sure, indeed a deadline is motivating.  
Just not motivating enough for me if it's more than about 3 weeks away!  Then it becomes a procrastinator's dream and the whole cycle is fulfilled.  Again!

20 comments:

misteejay said...

I love your card Julia.

I love Christmas...I try to be organised...but I probably still will end up rushing around like a headless chicken over some aspect of the Christmas holiday.

Toni xx

Helen said...

Had a good giggle today at your post - and trying to decide which category I fit in - I think it's probably the 4th one.... I always intend to start about October. which drifts to November.. hey ho - it's a long way off yet. And I am so NOT going to buy any new Christmas stamps this year...... you've heard that one before, too right?! Have a great weekend.

Kath Stewart said...

just can't decide which category I am in either...been making Christmas cards for the last month and probably will be for the next 4..by the time the big day arrives...I will be pig sick of it...hugs kath xxx

Annie said...

I'm def one who fits into the last minute maker category but as you well know I work best when under pressure....but I have to say I always enjoy what I'm doing :-)
A x

Pam said...

Now .... I used to fit in the organised category , the first year I made all my cards they were all (120) ready by the end of JULY(why? no idea!), last year I was definately in the last minute category, rushing around to make enough before the last post date. I think relistically this year will be the same as I think thats really my true self! I just can't get my head around chritmas in August, we don't stop celebrating birthdays in our family till the end of the month, and only then can I start to think about it! Hugs Pam x

Cath said...

Not sure where I come in! I have been known to hit the shops just to make sure I have them in time to post..... Sorry.

Cathx

Missed woyww again this week, sure you are moving wednesday forward.

Cardarian said...

Hmmm.....I am the panick nr. 4 last minute category! I try to be good and sometimes make a card or 2 in October but then....well I still have more then 2 months to go.....so I end up doing my cards the last few nights before Christmas - ha, ha very much in the Christmas spirit!
Hugs,
Cardarian

Tara Cardwell said...

I started off as the organised type - been making cards for long enough now, but never done Christmas ones as December is always too busy for me - so I started with a one a week plan. It's August - I have 3 and one of those my husband made. Luckily I'm also a realist so bought back up commercial cards in the January sales.... No holiday is worth the stress that forcing yourself to make Christmas cards "just because" can bring...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm NOT a card maker. I have historically made tip-ins for my friends each year. Year before last, I made a bunch of cards during a play date with friends. Made 25 in fact. Sent about half of them. Last year I refused to admit the season was even close until about Dec 15, too late to even send cards. This year I'm going to start making a few things. Maybe not cards, but little gifts that can go in card envies. I like how you analyzed people and their card-making habits.

Unknown said...

I recently made many cards from watercolor cast offs, that just didn't work out. Cut out the good parts. It is fun to do. I can't make Christmas cards until closer to Dec., however I did make 3 fabric collage wall hangings while I was making the other 7 Madonna hangings. I'm sure I will be glad when Dec comes.

Serendipity Stamping said...

I am definitely in he 4th. But, since I cut my cards down drastically over the years it is not a huge problem. Only my closest family and friend, the people that appreciate my efforts, receive cards. No business people, no service people, no fellow employees, well you get my drift. Far cry from the old days.

JoZart Designs said...

Yup, mmm yup, yep, mmm yes and I understand the way we all work differently. I vary but still never do C******as until the season is near. It then gives me a buzz. One year I was bogged down and didn't make or send any cards at all... the result... most people didn't notice but the ones that mattered contacted me to see if I was OK and it was lovely to be in touch personally.
2009 I knitted 48 tiny hats for 2 advent calendar hangings for my DDs children and I didn't start them until 10th Nov.... they were ready for 1st Dec! Last year I made myself 24 tags for Advent. All the proof in my blog archives. My feelings.. Christmas.. .(there I've said the word)....should be just that... CHRISTMAS! Not year round!
Thanks for the airing Julia! A good read.
Happy Summer everyone!
Love JoZarty x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Julia, this made me chuckle :) I'm one of the sad peeps who has to be prepared ... no I wasn't a Girl Scout, but for much of my working life my job involved being adept at office administration/organisation/time management so, even though now retired, I don't seem to be able to lose the habits of a lifetime :( However, I don't feel that it's Christmas all year long ... I'm the first to heave a big sigh of relief when it is all over in January and when each completed weekly card is popped into the basket with the others and promptly forgotten until November when we will start mailing them out. However, looking at the comments as well as your post I think I may force myself to do things differently next year because there is a ton of stuff I'd like to have a bash at and not all of it cardmaking - we shall see:) Elizabeth x

Mrs A. said...

Most definitely fall into the first category. I can only craft in the correct season. I took part in a 25 christmas match box swap last year and had to have them all complete to send off by September. I found it ever so difficult to create christmas themes and make gifts for the inside of each one. But then having arrived at the correct season I then fall into the last category namely to finnish in time so I really can't win! Hugs Mrs A & Norm.

Lisa said...

I'm sort of in the last category, but not really. I don't particularly enjoy mass making Christmas cards and so make very, very few. I just decided last year to opt out of the card making frenzy, so I make about 5, maybe even 10 and really enjoy making them for specific people who will appreciate them. Everyone else gets a bought card and a charity makes some dosh.

Doesn't stop me from buying Christmas stash though....... I LOVE Christmas.

Ohhh Snap said...

Beautiful card! Every year I have dreams of cranking up the air conditioning in July and blasting Christmas Carols, but inevitably something comes up and well... my list is small anyways lol. No Christmas cards have I made yet, but I have finally dedicated a large file box for DD's gifts so I can actually know in advance how much I have squirrelled away. And this year I've actually started 2 presents :D. I'm sure there's a crossover category for me somewhere (or maybe it's just me running pel mel amongst all of them lol).

Unknown said...

Lovey work hun I stay away from Christmas cards etc until Christmas time I just can't help my self although I greatly admire those who do a Christmas card a week and matching tags too and come Christmas they have 52 beautiful cards & Tags But I can only get Christmassy at Christmas lol ;0)

Dxx

Kezzy said...

Lol your posting made me smile. I'm not sure what catorgory I'm in, every year I swear to be more organised, I look through all the blog crimbo challenges through the year and swear that I will do the the following weeks, I see workshops online doing crimbo in August and think maybe I should start, see wondeful ideas in magazines in September and swear that I'm going to get my crimbo bits down of the highest shelf in my craft room, usually October comes and I have the first mince pie and grab my crimbo craft and sort it, this seems to take weeks and next thing I know its December and I swear I will do better next year lol. Hopefully blogging this year will help me be crimbo ready lol. Kezzy x

Kezzy said...

Oops meant to say love the card. Kezzy x

Artyjen said...

I admit to being a procrastinator! But I must make an effort to change as it is driving me crazy!! LOL :)
xoxo Sioux