Monday 16 November 2009

Safe to post...

Monday is usually a domestic day, I really like to restore the household harmony after we've all been together at the weekend. I gave up cleaning and tidying on a Friday not long after I realised that if I did it on a Monday, there was a good chance that I would only have to maintain it for a whole week instead of re-doing it within two days! So now you know..the best day to visit me is a Tuesday! But all I've managed is a load of washing and straightening the kitchen. Since then, I've been back at my desk; all this pressure I've put on myself - to produce a bunch of cards!
Again they're for the Card Marathon, and you'll be relieved to know that I've finished. All I have to do now is 'kitting' and that is so, so much easier than the ideas part! I'm going to photo my desk too - truly it has never been so shocking, but I'll save the picture for a comparative narrative on Wednesday. (I know, it's not enough that I think I can write a bit, suddenly I'm a poet too. Somebody'll stop me, you'll see.)
It's not the cards that are difficult, gracious no. It's the ideas and the constant thought that everything has to be new and shiny and loaded with techniques. But of course it doesn't. But they do have to be cards I'd like to give away myself as a minimum, and to come up with a card that I can't part with because I like it too much is a bonus! And I think the 'design fatigue' is entirely due to overkill. In one form or another, I've been using Christmas products since the end of August, and from a seasonal point of view, just as I should be really getting into it, I'm ready to opt out, thanks. So I'm going to turn myself to other things for a while, no doubt Christmas related, but more about the presents than the greetings and certainly nothing on a C6 card for a few days at least. Here's a start:
This little canvas is intended for Mr Dunnit; the robot is from Stampendous but the text is erm, borrowed from a stamp set I saw for sale but didn't buy (Woodware). Guilt guilt. The set had a couple of robots and a couple of text blocks in it. I already have the Stampendous set which contains 'body parts' for robots, so I kinda didn't need the other set, huh? It's not the major work of paint and masks and spritzes and inks and 38 images required by 'altered canvas' artists, but he's quite fun, and Mr D will get it. After all, the only thing I can do with a canvas that would actually alter it is to turn it into a tent, and there is no way that I want Mr Dunnit to suddenly get deep and understand from my gift that I want to go camping. Seriously. You'd never hear the end of it. So back to domestics for me then. Hope this Monday finds you facing a fulfilling and stress free week,

18 comments:

Chrissie said...

Just love Mr Dunnit's card Julia, and as we both appear to be in cofession mode...I've been known to 'borrow' a sentiment or two myself occasionally (shock, horror!!)
Why do we pile the pressure on ourselves, I wonder? After all, the original idea of crafting and blogging was purely for enjoyment, just madness really isn't it? I think I'm the world's worst for doing this!
As for making Christmas cards...I hated and detested making every one last year and vowed I wouldn't be in the same situation again. Finished making them all early this year and I'm BUYING them for people who don't appreciate handmade cards! (That'll learn 'em HA!)

Pam said...

Oh Julia you are funny! I know what you mean about the christmas cards I am so fed up looking for ideas to make them all individual and as Chrissie mentioned I know certain people don't appreciate them which makes all the effort seem wasted.

Hugs Pam x

Milliesmarvels said...

I totally agree with feeling like wanting to opt out of Christmas for a while, I am all Christmassed out too.
Love the canvas, the robot is so sweet! I have also 'borrowed' sentiments.....most of the time though, I see a good one, try to remember it and then when I get home can't!!
Jane
x

Carmen said...

Christmas cards - buying them. Can't be harsed :D Tried to make a card today to put in with a swap, just a grovelly so sorry it's late, please don't hex me card. Atrocious, absolute abomination it is - sending it though, with an apology that I've sent it inside ;)

I adore your canvas :D It's gorgeous! I love the sentiment, stolen or not. I'm starting my pressies this week too. Way late but will be prepared and start earlier next year. I will!

Unknown said...

hi julia!

Thanks so much for the lovely comments on my blog! It's nice to know the feelings etc im goign through are normal! Loveing your little canvas btw!

Annie said...

I've not made one card yet Julia. Been too busy with other things [see blog :-)]. I have made 2 advent calendars though and a little felted robin so they will no doubt feature in a blog :-) A x

Lyn said...

How cute is that ickle robot and sentiment?! I cannot believe you have been making Christmas stuff since AUGUST - eeeeeeek! I can barely bring myself to make any at all this year - just been tooooooo busy, even if it isn't too late yet. Bought ones mostly for me this year.

Kaz said...

That's a fab canvas Julia!! xx

CoventryAnn said...

Love the canvas, that robot is so cute (and i don't do cute!)

Effie said...

That's a big stack of cards..........and a fab little canvas!

Jo said...

A lovely canvas Julia and no don't give any ideas of camping, he will think he is getting away with a cheap holiday!! Hugs Jo x

Unknown said...

Love the little robot and he looks great on the canvas.

Jay said...

Loving the little robot Dharling. More temting cards I see, you tease.

Paige said...

Now that's a very cute little robot! I love the colours of the background and how they blend together so beautifully. we are up to seven puppies now :) will post piccy's tomorrow.

Angie said...

Love the robot and the sentiment ...Mr D will love it too. I agree that there is no point in housework on a Friday ....unless you have guests over the weekend.

Unknown said...

Love the card. And congratulations on finishing all the others.

Emily said...

just love that robot, i've never stamped on canvas i must have a go!

Anonymous said...

I am truly glad to glance at this webpage posts which contains lots of helpful facts, thanks for providing such statistics.